‘Tis the Season for Giving; The Elijah Moment Campaign Challenges All to Give Back Through Small Acts of Kindness
Rabbi Daniel Cohen and Pastor Greg Doll launch the 40-day Elijah Moment Campaign. Seize opportunities to give and uplift this holiday season
Stamford, Connecticut Nov 24, 2021 (Issuewire.com) – Thanksgiving is here; the official launch of the holiday season — a time that is about family and friends, joy and giving. Many are celebrating, as they should, but let’s not forget all the first responders, including police, fire fighters, EMTs, healthcare workers, and anyone else that had to be there to serve our communities over the last eighteen months. In addition, many people have struggled economically and small acts of kindness can be exactly what they need at this time.
Elijah Moments are a way to give back. Rabbi Daniel Cohen of Congregation Agudath Sholom, Stamford, CT and Pastor Greg Doll of Norton Presbyterian Church, Darien, CT are launching the Elijah Moments Campaign 2021. Elijah is a Biblical prophet who appears throughout history to spread light in the midst of darkness. He is the person who comes into your life and makes your day! A seemingly minor act of generosity can change a life, and every person can be an Elijah.
Just to get the ideas flowing, here are 12 simple acts you can do to make a difference today:
- Bring a plate of cookies or a thank you card to any of the first responders.
- If the person in front of you at the grocery store doesn’t have enough to cover their bill, go ahead and pay the difference. Better still, just buy all their groceries for them.
- Give the clerk at the coffee shop an extra ten bucks and ask them to pay for the next person in line. Or, give them a twenty and say for the next four people!
- At a restaurant, ask the waiter or waitress to give you the bill of one of the other patrons and then pay for them without letting them know it was you.
- Pay the bridge toll of the person behind you (If they still take cash, that is).
- Smile and say “Hi” to those you pass by today.
- Take ten one-dollar bills, and drop $1 into the hands of the next ten houseless people you see along the street.
- Go through your home and put together a package of clothes, phones, tools, appliances, and furniture you don’t need or want anymore, and drop it off at the Salvation Army or another bona-fide charity organization.
- Got a collection of old cars on your property? Donate a car to charity.
- Call up your rabbi or pastor and offer to buy or sponsor toys and dinners for needy families.
- Go to the local woman’s or children’s shelter and donate money to help needy families improve their holidays.
- Say something nice to everyone you meet. If they’re cranky, just ignore that. Your kindness will have an impact even if you don’t see it at that moment.
Each of us is encouraged to become our own Elijah by simply doing something nice for someone else. Not to get anything out of it. Not for recognition (although that may come), but just because it will make them (and you) feel good.
Oh, and don’t confuse a small gesture with being insignificant; sometimes the smallest gestures are the most impactful. This is not about ignoring what is truly happening in our world, but it is a way to focus on the positive and what is right with humanity. Through simple acts of generosity, we can transform a fleeting moment into an eternal one.
Be creative. Pay attention. Look for ways to be an Elijah!
P.S. Post your good deed, your Elijah moment here on social media. Let others know and inspire them to do the same!
And learn more about Elijah Moments here.
#elijahmoment #EM #grattitude #kindness #light #firstresponders
About: Popular motivator, mentor, and inspirational speaker, Rabbi Daniel Cohen’s unique blend of authenticity, humor, wisdom, and insight helps anyone better navigate contemporary society and lead a life of legacy. Rabbi Cohen has served in the rabbinate for over twenty years and is the author of What Will They Say About You When You Are Gone? Creating a Life of Legacy. www.rabbidanielcohen.com
Source :Rabbi Daniel Cohen
This article was originally published by IssueWire. Read the original article here.
Catherine West is a Labour Party politician in the United Kingdom. She was first elected as the Member of Parliament for Hornsey and Wood Green in May 2015. She writes stories as well as news. She wrote number of book.
Disclaimer: The views, suggestions, and opinions expressed here are the sole responsibility of the experts. No Acumen Digest journalist was involved in the writing and production of this article.